Friday, October 16, 2009

Discussions About HAIR (Etc.)

"Can I touch her hair?" the white middle-aged woman wearing only a pink towel asks me in the pool locker room. She stares almost hungrily down at my daughter's spiraling, sproingy black curls. I look at Mitike. "Do you want the lady to touch your hair?" I ask my 2-year-old daughter. Mitike shakes her head. NO. The stranger looks abruptly embarrassed and moves away. I lean in close to TK and whisper, "Remember: you never have to let anyone touch your beautiful hair." She nods solemnly, watching with relief as the lady moves away.

I never knew -- before I became the mother of an Ethiopian girl -- how much attitudes about hair can reveal our culture's attitudes about race. As I google new hair products to make TK's tangles easier to comb through and to make her curls bouncier and shinier, I find a raging debate in the African American community: should black hair be left natural or should it be straightened chemically? Which style shows the most pride in being black? Which style shows submission to dominant white culture? A recent Time magazine article (Sept. 7, 2009) recounts the rampant discussion about Michelle Obama's hair -- the black community argues about what style exhibits the most pride; the white community marvels "How does she change its length and its waviness all the time like that?"

I live in an Alaskan community that, while diverse, has few African or African American people. Mitike's hair is rare, and a curiosity. Other children reach out to touch it; adults behave the way the woman at the pool did. Mitike looks at me with her brow furrowed and says, "Mommy, how about you are the only one who touches my hair?"

But my own fingers barely know what to do. Before TK's curls began to grow long (and tangle), I read and read on blogs and websites -- and even in books (proof of my quest to know!) -- about how to care for African hair. I bought organic products that contained olive oil and honey, shea butter and cocoa butter, lemon grass oil and coconut oil. I followed prescriptions from strangers -- spray with water first, then put some olive oil in, then follow with a leave-in conditioner; wash it with shampoo once a week. I was determined not to be like the white mama of a little African American girl in TK's daycare, who was stopped in the Seattle airport by two well-meaning African American women who shook their heads and said, "You do NOT know what to do with that girl's hair."

I've had moments of pride: a woman in Denver stopped us on the sidewalk (my heart caught) and praised TK's "natural" hair; an Ethiopian woman in Seattle nodded at me with approval and then greeted TK with "Look at your beautiful hair!"; a presenter on racism at an August inservice shook her beautiful dreadlocks and told me her pride in her skin color has come partly from the decision she's made to have natural hair -- she complimented the way I nudge TK in that same direction.

Thank you. But what do I do with the way her curls knot and tangle together when she wears her beloved purple stocking cap all day? And should she cry as much as she does when I do the weekly combing of those lovely curls (with half a bottle of the supposedly magic detangler worked into her hair)? And if I let her hair dread, how do we return to curls eventually -- cut it all off? And what will I do if -- like one of my middle school students, who is also adopted from Ethiopia -- she succumbs to the perceived standard of beautiful hair and begs me to let her straighten those beautiful curls chemically? How can I get support for her hair in a community that doesn't even sell shampoo for her (I have to order everything online and pay to have it shipped to Alaska)? How do I counsel her to believe her hair is beautiful? How can I teach her to respond politely to the people who want to touch it -- even if it's out of well-meaning curiosity?

I know it may seem strange to spend so much time thinking about hair. . . but this white mama is beginning to realize that hair discussions are the surface conversations on a vast ocean of discussion about race. In this community -- a community of "white" hair, Native hair, and Filipino hair -- Mitike's sproingy curls are a beautiful curiosity. In other communities, her unstraightened wild locks shout pride in her African heritage. In still other communities, her unruly black hair represents ugliness or -- worse -- inferiority. The presenter on race -- the one with the beautiful dreadlocks -- smiled at me gently and said, "Her hair will be so important." I'm beginning to understand what she meant.

This morning, as I sprayed TK's hair with water, then worked in organic olive oil leave-in conditioner (made by Africa's Best, sold by Amazon.com for $4.99/bottle), then hydrated the back curls -- the ones always submerged under her stocking cap -- with Olive Oil and Honey Balm (made by Quemet, sold by that company for $14/container), then used TK's favorite dark purple sparkly headband to keep her curls back from her face, I whispered -- as I do every morning -- "Look at those beautiful curls!" She smiled at me, and then bared her teeth and yelled in her best imitation of Maurice Sendak's Max (from "Where the Wild Things Are"), "I'M A WILD THING!" and leapt off the stool.

For now, I think, our conversations about hair will be mostly about what color of sparkly band she wants to wear each morning. I'll guard these deeper topics in my heart -- for when my beautiful-haired little girl is ready.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Ah, sweet memories of hair on two little girls' heads. You are such a good mama, Sarah, and I am so very proud of you.

Allison and Sean said...

We have a new 3-year-old from Haiti and have been going through many of the same issues. We have a friend who's been putting her hair in braids once/month but are thinking about trying to do puffs on our own sometime soon. I'd love to talk with you more about it! My blog is: babybreiningerblog.blogspot.com. (got your blog from Meg E. I went to Luther with your sister)

The Stephens said...

I just posted about hair on my blog recently, and I thought you might enjoy: http://brianandaleishastephens.blogspot.com/

I just found your blog in Adoptive Families magazine, and I am thrilled beyond words. I love blogs, and I will be sure to add yours to my daily checking!

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog oh so very much. Please be encouraged by your daughters beautiful coils, curls, and kinks. I am an AA mother of an 8 year old daughter. As she has gotten older hair has grown to the middle of her back and as an AA woman who's mother is a cosmetologist. I found myself struggling for 2.5 hours with a very tender headed little girl trying to detangle her curls. I know a lot of people who tell me they wouldn't be bothered would keeping her hair in its natural state but what the heck do they know. I don't believe in putting harsh chemicals on beautiful delicate skin. Anyway, I just wanted to share something with you that I most recently found that makes combing her hair a breeze. As you know from your readings this type of hair needs lots and lots of moisture. It's virtually impossible to comb out without water. I use Nourishing coconut milk Conditioner by Organix. I take 2tbs or two long squirts into my spray bottle, I dilute the rest with warm water, and add my favorite oil(coconut, yanni, avocado, or evoo. I give the spray bottle a good shake to mix the contents and I saturate the hair all over. I don't know if there is a Sally's Beauty Supply in Alaska but there is a wonderful brush that is very wide and makes the whole process a breeze. It's only $2.69 and I bought 4. If you want me to send you one it would be my pleasure. This is my homebrew of daily conditioner for detangling. After this process I add my moisturizers and humectants to the hair. It takes about 7-10 minutes to detangle instead of 2.5 hours. Yay!!! No tears with very little labor! A win win situation for me. Please let me know how this works out for you. If you are looking for another little brown girl to talk to my daughter would love the interaction. I know how important it is for you to have a strong support system for her especially if there are very few AA families in the area. The beauty of the internet is that we are just an im, skype, and video conference away.